I started this blog a little over a year ago to document and remember important events in my life. My blog has been a place for me to share the things I've accomplished and important events in my life, along with my current interests. With that being said...
In 2006, my dad was diagnosed with a Brain Aneurysm.
A brain aneurysm, also called a cerebral or intracranial aneurysm, is an abnormal bulging outward of one of the arteries in the brain. It is estimated that up to one in 15 people in the United States will develop a brain aneurysm during their lifetime.
It was definitely a scary time for my family. We didn't know much about Brain Aneurysms. After severals tests, it was decided that in January of 2007, my dad would undergo brain surgery. It definitely was a terrifying thought. My dad's surgery was done at Jefferson Hospital in Philadelphia. He had one of the best neurosurgeons in the country. Everything went extremely well and my dad was back to his old joking self in no time.
![]() |
| The morning of his surgery. |
It has been almost 5 years since my dad's surgery.
So... why am I writing about this today?
For several reasons.. first and foremost I'm grateful that they caught my dad's aneurysm and that they were able to successfully treat it. Many aneurysms aren't caught until after they have ruptured.
Secondly, the reason I am sharing his story is because a month ago I was diagnosed with a Brain Aneurysm.
Aneurysms are hereditary and I was supposed to get tested since they found my dads. However, I didn't get the test done until November of this year. Of course I expected that I would be aneurysm free.
After my MRA in November, my doctor contacted me saying, "Your suspicious for a tiny aneurysm." Suspicious--- meaning maybe we are wrong? After this news, I contacted my dad's neurosurgeon to set up an appointment. December 9th, my parents, Brent, and I traveled to Philadelphia for my appointment.
The neurosurgeon confirmed that I do indeed have an aneurysm and scheduled me for an Angiogram the first week in January to get a better look at it. This past Tuesday I went for some pre-test tests, and next week I go in for the Angiogram.
The angiogram will help determine how soon they will treat it. However, unlike my dad's aneurysm, mine is much smaller and can most likely be treated through Coiling.
Endovascular therapy is a minimally invasive procedure that accesses the treatment area from within the blood vessel. In the case of aneurysms, this treatment is called coil embolization, or "coiling". In contrast to surgery, endovascular coiling does not require open surgery. Instead, physicians use real-time X-ray technology, called fluoroscopic imaging, to visualize the patient's vascular system and treat the disease from inside the blood vessel.
It has definitely been a stressful time, waiting for all of these tests and possibly treatment to be over with.
I am grateful that they caught and diagnosed my aneurysm and I am grateful for today's technological advances that allow some surgeries to be minimally invasive. Now all I can do is wait for some more answers.
So for today's challenge, I blogged my heart, and this is definitely something that has been weighing heavily on it.
xo

i can't imagine how terrifying and stressful this must me. praying for strength, health, and peace for you. thanks for sharing this-it was very brave of you. xxo
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for what you are going through.
ReplyDeleteMy best friend from high school, her dad died at 40
some years old from the exact thing (this was 1988) Her six siblings have since been tested, just recently because her sister had headaches and had fainted, they discovered an aneurism and coiled it. She has been fine since. One of her other siblings had one also, not sure if they did surgery or coiled it since I haven't talked to her in awhile. It's a very scary thing and I am so very sorry you are going through this! I am really happy thought that they found this early and that you can get it fixed, I wish and hope and pray for the very best for you. Much love,
Tara Pollard Pakosta
I know, that this is REALLY stressful! They found a tumor in my liver a few years ago...and it's benign, but it was so stressful for me. My mother in law has an aneurism on her aorta. She has been dealing with this for over a year...it is the result of radiation from breast cancer. They are monitoring it as well. I just pray for your strength, and thank god they found it in time. God bless you and your family!
ReplyDeletei can only imagine what you may be feeling as you prepare for treatment of your aneurysm. i will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteMy older brother died of a brain aneurysm when he was 29, so I can understand how stressful this must be for you. I hope it all goes well and Im glad you had the test done early enough to find this while its still small and the coil can be done.
ReplyDeleteThank you everyone for the kind words. I've just been reminding myself, "If God Brings you to it, He'll bring you through it." Happy New Year and God Bless <3
ReplyDeleteYou are so brave to blog about this. Sending you prayers and hugs.
ReplyDeleteI found your blog through Stephanie's blog. (((hugs))) I am praying that your treatment is successful and your recovery quick. Becca
ReplyDeleteHi,
ReplyDeleteI try to read all BYH challenges, I find it interesting to read other people's contributions. I'm so sorry for your health condition. *****HUGS***** It must be stressful. But at the same time, it's so much better to be diagnosed BEFORE anything awful happens. Good luck for this important step in your life. Cheers from Bordeaux, FR